Saturday, March 12, 2011

License to complain

Our insurance company just sent us our car insurance policy, which is helpfully renewed automatically without us needing to do anything. How nice of them. Except for the fact that they removed me from the policy last May, with no notice, so I've been driving around uninsured for 10 months. And now they won't put me back on until I get a UK driver's license. Which involves completely re-starting the driving process, COMPUTER TESTS, IN-CAR LESSONS AND ALL. Kill me now.

For whatever reason, the UK will not exchange a US license for a UK one. The crazy French and Italian drivers, sure! Come use our roads! But any US driver has to retake the test within 12 months of arriving here. It doesn't matter if you've been driving for 30 minutes or 30 years, you start from scratch.

I have a problem with this, because seriously? What's so wonderful about the system here? To begin with, EVERYONE IS DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. You can't turn right on red, and they have these ridiculous zebra crossings where you have to stop at the whim of any pedestrian that feels like going to the other side of the road. You wouldn't want anyone to walk an extra 10 feet for an intersection. A large percentage of roads in our area are not even wide enough for 2 cars, yet they allow you to park on the sides. And don't even get me started on the location of the steering wheel.

It's all just so unreasonable.
Sigh.

OK. I feel better now, thanks. Sorry for the French and Italian shot. That was cheap. You guys are really great drivers.

Anyway, if you need me, I'll be on the bus. Or perhaps walking in a zigzag pattern back and forth across the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment